Events occur in real time

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

If It Rings True...


I have a lot of jewelry. And by a lot, I mean A LOT. Really more than I can truly keep up with...apparently.

Several months ago, I bought a red gemstone ring (it was cheap and most likely glass....but it was red.) I was so excited! I got tons of compliments because it was a little unusual. Plus, for some inexplicable reason, out of the 400 pounds of jewelry I do own, I didn't own anything red. And I thought I had solved this problem.

Until I got off the phone with my mom yesterday...

We were talking about jewelry, and I mentioned that I don't own any red jewelry---to which she responded, "Yes, you do...you bought that ring." (Sidenote: Don't ask me how she knows what jewelry I own...we often talk on the phone for five hours at a time...what else do you talk about?) I drew a total blank. What ring? I had no idea what she was talking about...until it hit me that I had bought a super-cool red ring I haven't seen for awhile. I have a really bad habit of shedding jewelry by mid-day and tossing it haphazardly in my purse, car, golf bag, on my sister's kitchen counter or a friend's coffee table. I knew this total disregard for careful placement could get me in trouble one day, but I'm a risk-taker so I guess it wasn't enough of a threat to change my behavior.

The worst part of this situation: losing the ring? Nope. Feeling like I have officially lost my mind given that I can't keep up with my stuff...or even remember it? No. It's the knowledge that I now own something to which I am clueless of its location. Finding it has now turned into my latest obsession--Investigating every pocket, drawer, shelf, crevice, nook, cranny and boytoy's coffee table for aforementioned missing ring. I keep having revelations of a place I haven't yet inspected while I'm showering or driving or waiting for a client. And I rush to check it only to come up emptyhanded. It's really quite sad...I will not have any decent sleep until this stupid ring surfaces...not cool.

3 Comments:

At 3:08 PM, Blogger Bryan said...

"boytoy"?

Spill the beans!!!!

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger Al said...

Don't you know that a lady never talks? ;-)

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger Bryan said...

oh, come on! i'm not asking you to be a lady!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home