Events occur in real time

Monday, July 09, 2007

Drive Me Crazy

Those of you who know me personally know that my life is governed by a little thing I call "Allison law." It's sorta like Murphy's Law: anything bad that can happen, will happen. In my world, it's more like "anything insanely frustrating, irritating, inconvenient, semi-gross, mind-numbing, or of the highest unlikelihood that can happen, will happen." I have countless stories of evidence for this law, but my most recent I feel obliged to share.

I have a slightly unhealthy love for my Jeep. It's royal blue and (I believe) so freakin' cute. However, I had an incredibly strong desire last night to drive it into the lake. On a few occasions in the last few months, the car alarm on my Jeep has sounded off at random....usually only once or twice in a row and always in mid-afternoon. I usually just hit the alarm button on my remote and turn it off when this happens. However, this futile exercise was of no help as my typically-freakin' cute Jeep proceeded to sound its alarm constantly for about two hours straight at 3am last night. No jeep thiefs, way-ward cats, or crazy people in sight....it just apparently decided to make a lot of commotion for no reason.

Ya know how everything is more intense at night? Like, hearing a little noise can have you convinced that the world's worst serial killer is breaking into your house. Well, flashing headlights and a siren that would wake up people in Spain is a hundred times worse at night. I laid in my bed, remote in hand with finger poised on the only temporarily-silencing off button and pleaded with any available higher power to cease the insanity and allow me and everyone in my complex (whom I'm certain now hate me) to get some decent sleep.

There are two parts to the Allison Law that apply here: one, naturally my jeep's alarm decides to become positively unstoppable in the middle of the night, when nothing can be done about it. (If someone else was here that could have given me a ride back, I would have at least driven it out to the lake and left it there to beep it's freakin' heart out til morning.) Two, of course this inexplicable error occurs just three months after my factory warranty expires. So it will now cost me some crazy amount of money to fix/disable/remove-and-crush this annoying part that essentially serves no other purpose than to drive everyone in earshot to the brink of their sanity.

Car alarms should be outlawed. I'm starting a petition...

2 Comments:

At 2:40 PM, Blogger Bryan said...

you probably could have disconnected the battery to get the horn to stop, not sure though. it is now fixed?

i also enjoyed listening to the sultry voice of the business net blog. even though i have no idea what ya'll were talking about.

just out of curiosity, what are the chances of not only streaming the audio, but making it available for download?

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger Al said...

The dealership said that too. Do I look like the kind of girl who owns a wrench? They don't know what's wrong with it...the computer data they downloaded from my jeep is being analyzed, supposedly, by some regional jeep guy.

Sultry voice huh? I never thought of my voice as sultry, but that's awesome! I recorded the second one today; it should be up in a day or two. I'll ask my partner about downloading...good idea.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home